Infrastructure for water is a big subject – delivering water, removing water, storage, and processing, not to mention effluent. And there’s a lot of concrete involved in all that infrastructure.
What’s involved in maximising service life for concrete water infrastructure?
Obviously cost will always be high on the list of priorities. Budget limitations are a universal challenge.
Then there’s safety and the environment. For potable water, any work must maintain the safety of the water supply. For stormwater and similar assets, the works must not put the general environment at risk.
About concrete durability
Concrete is innately durable, and waterproof of itself if properly constructed.
However, concrete is not invincible, and deterioration can set in due to a number of factors, including contamination introduced via the very water it is handling. In fact, moisture-borne contamination is a very major factor in the corrosion of concrete reinforcing steel, and the resultant cracking. Unlike ‘dry’ structures, cracking is obviously a serious challenge for water containment.
Hence the importance of protecting the concrete’s durability from day one.
Have you considered using penetrating hydrogel treatment, for protection from day one, to preserve the intended service life?
Concrete hydrogel treatment is the advanced solution for concrete durability – used extensively for at-risk structures such as marine, water storage, and infrastructure. The hydrogel penetrates deep into the porosity of the concrete – up to 150mm, protecting the reinforcing steel. Pores and cracks up to 0.5mm are sealed. Moisture movement is prevented. Deterioration is arrested.
Think about the whole life of the structure. Reduce your long-term maintenance bill! This is a truly cost-effective solution for pro-active maintenance, starting at the time of construction.
More cost-effective than silanes
- …and will not deteriorate over time.
Because hydrogels do not break down over time and do not need to be reapplied, the treatment is extremely cost-effective for the long term.
- Concrete hydrogel treatments are induced by the use of water-borne colloidal silicate, which is extremely safe for both the environment and for the humans in the vicinity – it has nil VOCs.
- Hydrogel treatments have been successfully used in and around sensitive marine environments, to avoid detrimental effects on the waterways.
- Hydrogel treatments will not have any adverse effects on applicators or other personnel in the vicinity.
- Hydrogel treatments have been certified for use on potable water facilities.
This makes hydrogels the treatment of choice for water containment structures. Overspray is not an issue, as the treatment is completely safe for the environment.
Project management convenience
- Fast and safe, hydrogel treatments require minimal downtime.
The process will not unduly delay other works proceeding. This can be a serious cost saver.
Hydrogels can be applied to concrete which is wet, minimizing delays.
- Concrete hydrogels are 100% compatible with paints and coatings designed for bare concrete.
If the structure is to be painted, the hydrogel treatment will not cause any delamination or bubbling issues, and will not react with the coating.
Reduce Long Term Costs!
- One of the overwhelming benefits of hydrogel treatment is that it helps the concrete last longer.
- Moisture-borne contaminants are immobilised.
- The reinforcing steel is protected.
- Adverse reactions are arrested.
- The service life of the concrete is preserved or extended.
Say no more!
Get in touch today to discuss your particular project requirements.